Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Miracle Whip moment

The shop was closed yesterday due to the weather. I can't tell you what a hard decision it was to make - and I kept checking the weather to make sure I had made the right decision. There was a lull in the middle of the day, when nothing was happening and I kept saying to Paul (who stayed home because the weather and roads were so bad - could I get a clue from that?), "See? Maybe i shouldn't have closed!" Then at 3:30 or so, it started sleeting very hard and I felt better.

I kept envisioning that someone would have ventured out to the yarn shop (because that's where people go after a storm, right? - not the grocery store, gas station etc) and encountered a locked door and the "closed" sign. Just like that old Miracle Whip commercial - do you remember it? - when the guy ran out of Miracle Whip in the middle of the night, went to the grocery store but it was not open. And he said in this very disappointed voice,"They're closed." Remember????? I think it was the same guy who was in the "Time to make the donuts" Dunkin' Donuts commercial.

So, got through the bad weather, back open today and hopefully Spring is close by. I'm ready for it.

At any rate, since I then had time, I knit!
Finished my Traveling Woman Shawl, with Periwinkle Sheep Sock Dream:

What a wonderful yarn! So soft and wonderful to work with (cashmere!). This is a sample for the upcoming class - which will be a good class for those wanting to venture into lace knitting. A fairly simple pattern with such pretty results.


Got up the beginning of the hood on my Wallaby:

This is turning out so cute! Can't wait to see what the hood will look like. Almost done.


Then, I worked on the "Volna" scarf, for the upcoming class:

A more adventurous pattern but it is so pretty. I'm using the Noro Kirameki lace yarn, but the pattern gives options for other weights of yarn (including Noro Taiyo, which should be coming to the shop soon!) and widths of scarf.


And finally, I forgot to mention this little side project I've been working on:

A cotton rug to put in front of the wood stove. I'm using doubled worsted weight cotton and a size 8 needle to make it nice and dense. Very plain and a little boring, but it's meant to be practical and hide soot and other wood stove dirt. It's only about 2/5 of the way done; all garter stitch, so I take it in the car or work on it watching tv since I don't have to think about it.


No comments: