Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Five minutes

A little story about procrastination.... When it comes to household projects that I need to do by myself, I tend to procrastinate. A lot. Our house came with a wallpaper border in virtually every room. We are not wallpaper border folk, so we wanted to take them down. If you've ever removed wallpaper before, you know that it is a HUGE task. You have to score the paper, spray some goop on in, let it soak in and then use a lot of elbow grease to scrape it off. The borders in the bedrooms took a really long time. Hours. More than an evening of work each. But we got it done and then painted. Now they look really nice.

The border in the living/dining room is another story. The first layer (the pattern) came off very easily (last year) leaving the glue part. It became "my" job to get that glue part off, Paul having moved on to other things (car stuff) while waiting to do "his" job - spackling and putting up trim when I was done. I'd much rather do these things with Paul. For one thing, he's the motivator. For another, I don't feel quite as tortured when someone else is doing it with me. For over a year now, the glue part has sat there staring at us, waiting for me to take it off. Despite not liking the fact that things look unfinished in here, I've procrastinated, knowing it would be a REALLY. LONG. TASK.

Finally, Saturday, Paul very nicely and gently "hinted" again that he'd like to get "his" part done. So I said, "Fine. I'll just do it tonight. I'm tired and I wanted to do my yoga, but I won't. I'll just do this." Paul likes to come home from work and "get things done". I like to come home from work and relax and knit, leaving my days off to get things done. Since our days off are not the same, sometimes it feels a little disjointed.

I stomped down to the basement to look for the scorer, sprayer and scraper. I couldn't find them so I stomped back upstairs and asked Paul to find them. He found them and I started getting organized, mumbling and grumbling. Paul was hanging around a little and I could tell he might have felt a little badly that I was so miserable about doing this. I told him, "It's fine. I'm just being whiny about it but I'm going to get it done" and off he went to the garage to work on his car. So, I scored and sprayed and waited for it to soak in........

The border practically fell off the wall on it's own and I was done in 5 minutes. FIVE. MINUTES. All this time and it could have been done in five minutes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good story! Very motivating. That's how I feel before I sew up sweaters (but they obviously take longer to sew up). Someone should tell Joan this story so she can get rid of our kitchen table. =)

emcknits said...

I have the same problem in our house with the wallpaper. Ours wasn't coming off either. We bought a steamer to remove the wallpaper and that worked great. I am glad that yours came off quickly this time.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, if you think something will be difficult and procrastinate (something that I am very good at), it is super easy and vice versa. You must have paid homage to the wallpaper fairy in another room:)

Joan said...

Oh that Jane is so funny sending messages through Liz's blog!! That really is a good story--Aren't we all procrastinators when it comes to certain things? While reading I could see you, a little red-faced (I said little) huffing and puffing and fuming as you went up and down the stair--It didn't hurt to make him feel a little guilty!! Glad it went quickly--And now he can get on with "man's work" hehehe

silverbear said...

loved this story, having been there a few good times myself. that's why i like this quote from robert frost: the best way out is always through!