Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Rhinebeck

Whew! Rhinebeck was great!!!! Paul and I got there right at 10:00 on Sunday morning. Here we are starting the day...

I immediately got overwhelmed (as I was told by many that I would be) by where to look, what to look at and what to buy. So I just started taking pictures...
Then we decided to go see the Dog Frisbee demonstration:
So, I bought a frisbee for Mandy. Who, by the way, has no idea how to fetch, so don't ask me how I'm going to get her to chase/catch a frisbee. But they made it look so easy and I had hope. First purchase of the day was for the dog and had nothing to do with yarn. Except that the same dogs, border collies, can also herd sheep. Who we get wool from.
For those of you who haven't been, Rhinebeck is like this, times a thousand:
Then we decided to have lunch. (Still haven't purchased yarn.) We both completely forgot about the pot pies. We only remembered a little while later when we saw this REALLY long line and wondered what the heck people would wait that long for. Pot pies. We got pulled pork and a reuben and french fries which were all yummy. But Paul would have REALLY liked a pot pie. Next year. This was an underwhelming day for us, food-wise in that we didn't eat much. We shared an apple crisp for dessert and got kettle corn to take home. Pretty light day for us (reference a prior post when we went to the Altamont Fair and ate everything in sight)
Then we went through the book signing building where Stephanie and I had a chat:
She was very nice. I told her I was a yarn shop owner and she said that she could never be a yarn shop owner. She wouldn't want to let anyone buy the yarn because she'd want to keep it all. I also wanted to show her my socks that I knitted, which I was wearing. Paul laughed hysterically while I tried to lift my leg and my pant leg at the same time, while not quite getting it high enough for her to see. She stood up and was trying to lean over the table while I tried a second and third time. I finally got my foot high enough and just stuck it on the table. She said they were very nice. Great one, Liz. Way to impress.
Then we went to the building with the food/wine tasting to see the competition items.(Still haven't purchased yarn.) I heard Diane S. did VERY well! Unfortunately, it was so crowded in there and somehow we missed the whole section with the items. Luckily, I've been fortunate to see many of Diane's items at the shop and if there are any new ones I hope she will bring them to the knit in this Wednesday (please?). I was able to fight through the crowds to purchase this:
A sachet of lavender. I will do almost anything to get something with lavender in it. I love it. And it's supposed to help you relax.

It was about now that Paul said something to the effect of "You HAVE to buy some YARN. Lets go back through. Take a deep breath and buy something you like. " Mind you, he said this because I kept saying that I WANTED to buy some yarn, but I just couldn't seem to figure out how to do that. So I found this:
622 yards of alpaca. Mmmmmm.... alpaca.
And this:
200 yards of angora and merino. Mmmmmm...angora.
And this:
Socks that Rock from Blue Moon Fiber Arts, which I've been wanting to try. Silk and merino. Mmmmm...silk.
Our last event of the day was to visit Mary at her booth. She was marketing and selling her spinning wheel and it was a big hit! I was very happy for her. Here is her booth and her wheel:(If you are interested in checking this out, call me at the store and I will put you in touch with her.)
A big thank you to Mary for displaying a sign for the store and handing out class schedules!
We were very tired, left around 4:00. We didn't stop for dinner like I thought we might. We just wanted to get home.
We'll definitely be back. Yes, Paul had a good time. I'm going to get on the waiting list for a booth for next year. Fingers crossed that I'll get a chance to try this out as a vendor. YIKES!

More soon on "the day after Rhinebeck"....

No comments: