Thursday, October 16, 2008

Telemarketers

Ok, so I just got a call from a telemarketer. Most of the time I just hang up. Or say "no, thank you. I'm not interested" and then hang up before they can say anything else. But today they said something about promotional items like pens and totebags that I could put my logo on, so I decided to listen. The woman talked about three items and then I asked her about the prices. She asked for which item and I said "all three". She said "Oh, I'm new so I'll have to get my boss." The boss came on the line and I said I wanted to know prices for all three items. She said "Oh, well the tote bags are my favorite and I'll tell you why..." and went on and on. I ruled out the tote bags (flat, no bottom gusset) before getting the price. I asked about the pens. She went on and on and described them. I decided I didn't like those because they were too expensive so I said, "That's not really what I'm looking for." She says, "Oh, well what ARE you looking for?" and I said, "I don't know what I'm looking for -- you called me." And she hung up. And she was the BOSS! Last time I give a telemarketer a chance. It just NEVER works out.


Yay! I finished a PAIR of socks. I've only done this one other time with adult socks. Other times, I've just made one for a sample. But this time I decided to make a complete pair. They are the sample for the Step Duet sock yarn. I love them -- no, they don't match and that's fine with me....


And, I HAD to post this picture of the Baby Surprise Jacket that Joan True made with the Noro Kureyon. It's beautiful! She washed it and the Kureyon gets so much softer after it's washed....


I got a great local wool in the store from Cece Tkaczyk at Barton Hill Jacobs in Delanson. It is Jacob wool and it is beautiful. She even brought a digital picture frame with pictures of her sheep! It's great!:



I'm also now learning to crochet! I'm actually re-learning the basics and trying to learn some more advanced. I've got a nifty scarf going but may take that out to try a granny square. I've been told they are "so easy". One of my goals for the shop is to eventually have more crochet books, patterns and hooks. It may take me a while to get there but I'm working on it. Stay tuned for basic crochet classes...

Ooh! I just got a call that "It Itches!" by Franklin Habit (a knitting essay/cartoon book) is in at my supplier!!!! Yay - he's so funny. For those of you who don't know him, he is The Panopticon blogger (a link you will find on the right of this screen). Hopefully, it will get here by next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL If you're looking for promo items try 4imprint.com, they are our biggest promo vendor at my job and we do a LOT of promo stuff. They let you have plenty of free samples so you don't have to take the plunge on an item and then not like it. Even bags! I've demo'd bags from them while trying to find one that we liked for our department.

Anonymous said...

What a stupid sales strategy. As someone who has to call people all the time to talk about our services, I just can't stand people like that!! Your reaction is exactly right and deserved.

Did you like my two exclamation points???? I was just trying to keep up with you Liz!

Anonymous said...

Lee's Trophy in Schenectady (Rotterdam)are great to wrok with on promo items